Wednesday 25 November 2009

Biore Skincare Review

For the last couple of weeks I have been testing out a few products that were sent to me by Biore. I had previously seen this brand in Boots, but never tried any of their products so was keen to see how they would work with my skin.

First up I tried their daily deep pore cleansing wipes.

These wipes are textured to provide gentle exfoliation and clean deep down into the pores. Biore claim that they remove oil, dirt, and make-up - even waterproof mascara.

You get 25 good size wipes in a pack for a reasonable price, but this is where the positives end.

Although, I like the idea of them being textured since they are a little on the dry side you have to rub at your skin a lot more to remove makeup, and this can lead to irritation. The first time I used these I noticed they had a very pungent scent of alcohol. They also really stung my eyes when I tried to remove my eye makeup, though surprisingly the wipe only smeared most of it, and barely touched my mascara.

After looking at the list of ingredients I realised that after water the second ingredient was alcohol denat. No wonder my eyes were hurting and sore! I would never recommend anyone to use makeup remover with alcohol around the eye area, and yet this product claims to remove waterproof mascara (it really doesn't!).

In the name of research I foolishly tried these again, though keeping them far away from my eyes. Though they did do a pretty good job of removing face makeup they once again left my skin red and irritated. In the morning I also noticed that my face was extremely oily, probably due to the wipes being too harsh and stripping my skin of all its natural oils. We all know this only causes one thing- more oil production and clogged pores! I will therefore be sticking to my super mild Johnson's wipes from now on :).

The second product that I have been trialing is Biore's deep cleansing pore strips:

 
These are meant to instantly pull away oil and dirt build-up as well as blackheads in one use. Each pack comes with 6 strips, which should be used about twice a week. They are pretty simple to use, you just wet the skin on your nose, stick the strip on and leave it to dry for 10-15 minutes. After this comes the excruciating pain of peeling it off. Now, I am not one to complain about pain being the price for beauty (far from it!), but these really do hurt, especially if you have sensitive skin. 
 
I won't scar you all with an image of a used strip, but I will describe exactly what it removed. First off, as you can imagine when you are peeling something that has been firmly stuck for 15 minutes you are definitely going to remove a layer of skin. I think this is actually a plus as if you have any dry areas on the nose these will be lifted in a much more effective way than with a scrub. However, this does leave the nose very red afterwards, so it's deffinitely a treatment to use at night, and not before dashing out into public looking like Rudolph. 
 
The other thing that this strip removes very efficiently is the teeny tiny white hairs that everyone has on their face. You may not think you have any, but if you look really closely you will see a miniscule amount of baby fuzz. This is probably not what Biore intended these strips to do, but it does make the area look and feel slightly smoother. Apparently some celebrities get their whole faces waxed to make them look smooth, so perhaps there is something in it.

Unfortunately, these strips didn't remove many blackheads, about 5 per use. I think (and how can I phrase this in a pleasant way) these could have been 'exctracted' manually much quicker and with a lot less pain. Then again, the pores on my nose are really not all that big, and the only blackheads I have are in the creases on the sides of my nose, so this area is difficult for the pore strip to stick to efficiently.

Overall, I think these could work for you if you have large pores and mainly blackheads running through the centre of your nose.. or else if you fancied an at home face wax ;).

Sorry for the rambling.. it is late, and I hope that this review was helpful to some of you!!
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. Haha this post made me laugh even though it was negative. Those pore strips sound awful - I'll give them a miss :-) Thanks for the review x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used the pore strips, and although they aren't a miracle product, they're still kind of fun. I like to see the gunk that it gets out of my nose, and it does leave it very smooth. I haven't tried the cleansing wipes, but I will definitely avoid them as of now :) One of my favorite biore products from long ago was a self heating mask..it was amazing! I think it's d/c'd now though. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used those strips and always hoped to see blackheads get removed - yeah i am weird :) - but no, just those teeny hairs. i think thats why i use them :) great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used this before.was exited when i first bought it but it did not work at what its supposed to do..does not remove blackheads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review, the pore strips are quite good for men who aren't going to faff about with scrubs and masks and extraction but on my nose nothing but the hairs ever comes off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must have a wierd nose - this gets all my blackheads out! I cleanse before, make sure my nose is super wet, then use wet fingers to 'shape' it onto my nose, smoothing it out over the side bits (that I always find really really difficult to do extractions on anyway) - I also ensure it is dry dry dry (even if that means leaving it on longer). Works like a charm for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wipes sound horrible! I found a fabulous natural makeup remover wipe made by Blum Naturals. They remove skin and eye makeup very effectively and does not burn at all! You also don't have to r ub your skin very hard. I have used the pore strips too and you are so right. They don;t work very well..and are expensive to boot! Thanks for the great honest review...I am glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe not for your skin type

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and
    needs to be appreciated by everyone.
    --------------------------------------------------
    <a href="http://www.rawstBeauty Tipsanchortext</a>

    ReplyDelete
  10. wowwww.....very informative a tip .....it's really works...thank u very much....and waiting more tips from u....once again thanks a lot...
    skincarereviewsbyalana.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a lot of blackheads in my nose and it seems I have never found how to get rid of this messy baclkheads.. Thanks for sharing! http://bit.ly/lNfVik

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice post but


    Skin care and beauty can be complicated. That is why we’ve compiled our knowledge of what we think are the most important and

    talked about skin care issues today. The Skin Care 101 section of SkinCareRx gives you the basics about your specific skin

    type concerns, tips on how to look and stay beautiful for years to come, as well as articles from world-renowned

    dermatologist, Dr. Mark Taylor on the future of skin care.
    Skincare

    ReplyDelete

© Natalya's Beauty Blog- Filthygorgeousmakeup. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig